FLORENCE, SC – Francis Marion University swept all three doubles matches, including two in tie-breakers, and junior William Anth-Forsberg earned the clinching point at No.3 singles to lead the Patriots to 5-2 victory over Ashland University, Tuesday afternoon (March 10) in non-conference men's tennis action.
Francis Marion (5-4) will host regionally ranked Tusculum University on Thursday at 2 p.m. on FMU's Kassab Courts.
Anth-Forsberg and junior Charles Hutchings claimed a quick 6-2 win at No.2 doubles, before freshman Liam Day and junior Matt Astell won 7-6 (7-0) at the No.3 position to clinch the doubles point. Graduate student Alex Regner and senior Mauricio Guerrero then rallied in a tie-breaker to win 7-6 (9-7) at No.1 doubles.
Singles victories by Hutchings (6-4, 6-4) at No.6 singles and sophomore Brandon Sweeney (6-4, 7-6 (7-5)) at No.4 allowed FMU to take a 3-2 lead. Anth-Forsberg then clinched the match at No.3 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 victory. Junior Paul Meuwissen accounted for the final FMU point with a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8) victory at the No.5 spot.
Mar 10, 2020 at Florence, SC (Kassab Courts)
Francis Marion University 5, Ashland University 2
1. Stuart Brdicka (AUM) def. Liam Day (FMU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Priyank Soni (AUM) def. Mauricio Guerrero (FMU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
3. William Anth-Forsberg (FMU) def. Jordan Phelps (AUM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Brandon Sweeney (FMU) def. Tche Kun Teng (AUM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Paul Meuwissen (FMU) def. Hung Huynh (AUM) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Charles Hutchings (FMU) def. Jacob Hoffman (AUM) 6-4, 6-4
1. Alex Regner/Mauricio Guerrero (FMU) def. Stuart Brdicka/Jordan Phelps (AUM) 7-6 (9-7)
2. William Anth-Forsberg/Charles Hutchings (FMU) def. Tche Kun Teng/Hung Huynh (AUM) 6-2
3. Liam Day/Matt Astell (FMU) def. Priyank Soni/Jacob Hoffman (AUM) 7-6 (7-0)
Match Notes: Ashland University 4-7 Francis Marion University 5-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,4,2,3,5)